THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

In order to expand and reach more readers, I have moved Adventures of a Young Feminist to a new, self-hosted site! Please update your subscriptions, links, blogrolls, etc. The new site can be found at http://adventuresofayoungfeminist.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009

About Adventures of a Young Feminist


Pop culture from a feminist perspective with a little bit of everything on the side. This blog was created to counter the lack of feminist news and feminist interpretations of current events. Feminism is still alive and kicking in the United States and around the world. Women still do not have the same social standing as men. They are still discriminated against in the workplace, media, government, and society in general. This is why feminism is still necessary. My goal for this blog is to show that feminism is still necessary and flourishing. Pop culture is a part of society that reflects the values and interests of society in general. Because of this, I chose to focus mainly on pop culture, but I will also touch on important news in the feminist community.

The blog comes through my viewpoint as a white, middle class, feminist female. Many of my posts will be related to current events, including politics to pop culture to legal cases and everything in between. Overall, this blog will look at the interlocking forms of oppression that different women face around this country and around the world.

About Me
My name is Laura Sundstrom. I graduated from Beloit College in May 2009 with a B.A. cum laude in Women's and Gender Studies. I have always been a feminist, but haven't always been conscious of it. I was introduced to Women's and Gender Studies in an anthropology class my freshman year at Beloit and I have been in love with it ever since.

I am currently searching for employment in this lovely economy of ours and am mooching off of my parents. When I am not looking for a job, I am volunteering at my local Planned Parenthood and keeping up on my current affairs, which includes the movies and television shows that I enjoy keeping up with. I enjoy reading books about feminism, class issues, and religion. I also enjoy biographies or memoirs of fantastic people. I listen to all kinds of music but usually tend to enjoy alternative folk and bands that fuse different styles together. Some of my favorite bands of the moment are The Avett Brothers and She & Him, but this is constantly changing.


Contact
Email: youngfeministadventures@gmail.com

Comments
I really appreciate any comments that you might have. Please keep it respectful (i.e. no insults, keep it P.C., etc.) and with good intentions and I will do my best to address your comments. Comment on anything and everything you feel inspired to. I would really like to foster some conversations about feminist and the place is has in the world today. Do you agree/disagree with what I'm saying? Is there something that should be added to a post? Do you have any concerns?

I retain the right to delete any comment that I feel is inappropriate or does not necessarily pertain to the subject of the post. If you have general comments, please direct them towards me email.

Guest Posting and Cross Posting
I have an open guest posting policy. If you have a post that you think would fit in well with this blog*, please feel free to email it to me with a brief bio. Guest posting is a great way to build community and foster discussion. So don't be shy, send in some guest posts!

I am open to my posts being cross posted on other blogs, but please contact me before doing so!

*I retain the right to determine if a guest post fits in with this blog. Any post that generally has a pro-feminist theme will most likely be accepted. But, just like with comment, if the post is not respectful, it will most likely be denied as a guest post. This is not to discourage you from sending in guest posts, just to make sure that your are thoughtful in doing so!

About the Page Design
This blog was created as my personal attempt to make a "ripple" in the status quo. This is symbolized through the depiction of a drop of water.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin