THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

In order to expand and reach more readers, I have moved Adventures of a Young Feminist to a new, self-hosted site! Please update your subscriptions, links, blogrolls, etc. The new site can be found at http://adventuresofayoungfeminist.com

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Breast Implications #10: A Note About Breastfeeding

It seems like breasts and breastfeeding have been a popular topic in the blogosphere recently. Or maybe I'm just paying more attention. Who knows. But I have been finding some great posts about breastfeeding form the perspective of mothers who chose whether or not to breastfeed and public reactions to it.

This has started me thinking more about breastfeeding. At my current state of affairs, breastfeeding a child is not in my plans. Maybe one days I'll have kids, but not anytime soon. So, right now, I can do my research on breastfeeding, read about experiences breastfeeding, etc. But right now, I cannot talk to breastfeeding from a personal perspective.

While I cannot personally speak to breastfeeding, I think it is an important choice for a mother to make. And that's exactly what it is: a choice. It is a personal choice about parenting and one's body. As long as it's an educated choice, no one should tell a mother that she should or should not breastfeed or where they can breastfeed.


Breastfeeding in public seems to be a much debated topic. I don't really understand why. A baby needs to be fed, it's a natural process, so what...

The oversexualization of breasts prevents many people from seeing the biological function of the working breast. As I quoted in the Societal Implications post, Cindy Stearns said,

"the sexual aspects of women and the maternal aspects of women are expected to be independent from each other...breasts are a scandal because they shatter the border between motherhood and sexuality."
Breastfeeding in public is so "offensive" to some people because it is a reminder of this shattering of the border between motherhood and sexuality.


I think it's important to raise awareness about the discrimination against breastfeeding mothers that happens despite the laws protecting them.

Here are some great posts that I recommend you read about the decision of whether or not to breastfeed and breastfeeding in public:
Let My Boobs Be Free! [Wired for Noise]
Boobs, Babies and Feeding [Soap Box]
Breastfeeding Bigots on Twitter (and the radio) [The Feminist Breeder]
Breasts: Ready to go Public? [The Undomestic Goddess]

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin