THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

In order to expand and reach more readers, I have moved Adventures of a Young Feminist to a new, self-hosted site! Please update your subscriptions, links, blogrolls, etc. The new site can be found at http://adventuresofayoungfeminist.com

Thursday, August 6, 2009

RIP John Hughes

John Hughes died today at the age of 59 of a heart attack.

John Hughes was such an important part of my development. While most of his movies were coming out around the time that I was born, I love most things 80s, so of course became obsessed with movies like
The Breakfast Club (one of my all time faves), Pretty In Pink, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. These movies have meant a lot to me over the years. While there are some problematic things in these movies (ok, probably a lot of problematic things), I found myself in these movies. I identified with some of the characters, they told the story of how I wanted high school to be.

John Hughes have not been making movies for a while now, I still feel like I am going to miss him. It's weird how we develop these attachments to celebrities that we don't even know. I remember when Heath Ledger died, I thought it was sad, but I wasn't as heartbroken about it as other people were. I thought it was weird that people were so torn up about it even though they didn't personally know him. Yes, his death was tragic, but I don't know, I didn't really feel the need to cry about it. I'm not having that big of a reaction to John Hughes' death, but I definitely feel like we are losing an icon.

When I told my dad today that John Hughes died, he said, "Who?" I was shocked that he didn't know how John Hughes was by name (he knew the movies once I started naming them). Hughes' movies have just meant so much to me over the years and I will definitely remember them for the rest of my life.

You can read more at Shakesville. And one of my favorite posts that I've read (that I never really commented on) is a post from Jezebel called "The Ups and Downs of Having a John Hughes Boyfriend."

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin